How do I apply for a Wheelchair Accessible Taxi grant?
The process for applying for a grant from the National Transport Authority is straight forward, but it is vitally important that you fully understand this process before you purchase a vehicle. There are certain restrictions in place, in regards to applicants, in order to make certain that everything has been done to ensure that the key beneficiaries are the passengers who need the vehicles.
· Applicants must have tax cleared status with the ability to maintain it. Also, in line with typical SPSV operations, applicants must not have had a prosecution or complaint registered in the 24 months leading up to the date of application, upheld.
- Other requirements include that the proposed taxi driver must undertake a NTA provided Disability Awareness Training course, relevant to being a SPSV service provider. This is free of charge. The driver will also be expected to use specific free of charge APP which will tie into the inclusion on a website which allows the NTA to offer services and take bookings accordingly.
- As will also be expected that the driver is expected to hold the relevant insurances as set out in the Taxi Regulation Act 2013, ensuring that the proposed taxi will comply with the relevant regulation.
- Finally, the applicant must be legally entitled to be in the possession of and use the proposed vehicle for a minimum period of 12 months from the date of the application, committing to complete and return to the(WAV16C form) NTA journey documentation at six monthly intervals.
Given that the applicant is and expects to be compliant with the above conditions, you would be invited to download the relevant forms from the NTA website and return them via the post to the office in Galway.
If, on completion of the application process, you receive a provisional grant letter of offer from the NTA, your next step should be to arrange for a Technical Assessors Full Report to be carried out for your proposed vehicle. Using the template provided, the report will be able to show that NTA that in theory, your chosen vehicle is suitable.
The Technical Assessors Full Report must be completed by a competent person, referred to as the technical assessor, who meets the following minimum requirements:
· - Engineering Qualification (Level 7 or higher accredited courses)1 , or
· - Accreditation with Engineers Ireland as a Chartered or Associate Engineer , or
· - Member or Incorporated Member of the Institute of Automotive Engineer Assessors.
It is expected that the technical assessor must have;
- A minimum of five years experience of working in a suitable technical environment (preferably Automotive or Engineering Environment);
- Access to adequate facilities to carry out a thorough vehicle examination, and
- Appropriate professional indemnity insurance.
This completed Technical Assessors Full Report is required to be submitted alongside your license application (VL1) to the National Transport Authority in Galway.
When you get notice that your application has been approved, you will be invited to book your vehicle for an Initial Suitability Inspection at one of the SPSV centres nationwide. The Initial Suitability Inspection is where an inspector is able to examine the wheelchair accessible vehicle to verify it is the vehicle that has been proposed through the Technical Assessors Full Report. When you have booked your Initial suitability Inspection at your local SPSV centre, you should also book your training course.
When the Initial Suitability Inspection and Disability Awareness Training course have been completed you should forward the certificate together with your grant payment request form to the NTA for payment of your grant. This will be processed by the authority and, if everything is as expected, you will gain final approval and you will receive your payment within 20 working days of notification.
- 07/12/2018 Job Vacancy - Assistant Stores Person
- 06/12/2018 Job Vacancy - Marketing Executive
- 10/11/2018 Christmas Hire Information & Opening Times
- 08/11/2018 Kidz to Adultz North, Event City, Manchester, today 08/11/18
- 16/10/2018 JOB VACANCIES
- 16/10/2018 Full Time Job Vacancy - Office Administrator
- 11/10/2018 McElmeel Mobility at Kidz to Adultz North on Thursday 8th November
- 24/09/2018 Job Vacancy - Design Engineer
- 03/09/2018 McElmeel Mobility at the Motability One Big Day Event, East of England Arena, Peterborough, 8th September 2018
- 18/08/2018 McElmeel Mobility Roadshow 2018
- 08/08/2018 McElmeel Mobility at the Motability One Big Event, Yorkshire Event Centre, Harrogate, 10th August 2018
- 01/08/2018 McElmeel Mobility at the Motability Big Event, Westpoint Arena, Exeter 28th July
- 19/07/2018 Job Vacancy - Vehicle Trimmer/Fitter
- 19/07/2018 JOB VACANCIES
- 18/07/2018 Motability One Big Day Event, Exeter 28th July
- 06/07/2018 McElmeel Mobility at the Motability Big Event, NEC Birmingham 6th-7th July
- 19/06/2018 Motability Big Event, NEC, Birmingham 6th-7th July
- 01/06/2018 The Motability Big Event 1st-2nd June
- 23/05/2018 JOB VACANCIES
- 22/05/2018 Design Engineer Apprenticeship
- 22/05/2018 Vacancy - Office Administrator
- 21/05/2018 The Big Event 1st-2nd June
- 17/05/2018 Vivaro Crew Cab
- 16/05/2018 Bentley with Hand Controls
- 08/05/2018 McElmeel Mobility at Balmoral Show 2018
- 30/04/2018 Quality Control Officer Required
- 26/04/2018 McElmeel Mobility Services at Naidex
- 24/04/2018 Vacancy - Welder/Fabricator
- 24/04/2018 Vacancy - Vehicle Mechanic/Adaptation Fitter
- 21/04/2018 McElmeel Mobility exhibiting at the Naidex Exhibition 25-26 April 2018
- 12/04/2018 We are recruiting a Welder/Fabricator and Vehicle Mechanic/Adaptation Fitter
- 11/04/2018 McElmeel Mobility - Naidex Exhibition 25-26 April 2018
- 06/04/2018 Now Hiring UK/Ireland Sales Person
- 30/03/2018 Easter Closing Hours
- 22/03/2018 Vauxhall Vivaro Crew Cab with lots of extras
- 09/02/2018 WAV 2018 - Wheelchair Taxi Grant Launches in the Republic of Ireland
- 01/02/2018 Vauxhall Vivaro Taxi Conversion Available now for just £19,750.00 +VAT
- 05/12/2017 Christmas Hire Information and Opening Hours
- 18/11/2017 Ford Grand Tourneo Connect Flexi - 5 plus wheelchair
- 02/11/2017 Brand New Mercedes Wheelchair Accessible Minibuses - Available Immediately.
- 26/10/2017 The Demise and Death of the Volunteer Driver.
- 11/10/2017 9 Seat Wheelchair Accessible Taxi
- 06/10/2017 NI Chamber Award for "Excellence in Customer Service"
- 29/09/2017 Running Boards and Side Steps on a taxi
- 08/06/2017 McElmeel Mobility Services – closer to you
- 20/04/2017 LOWEST MOTABILITY Advanced Payment on the Volkswagen Caddy Maxi Style - £1,995*
- 19/04/2017 LOWEST MOTABILITY Advanced Payment Berlingo in the Motability Scheme - £1,095*
- 14/04/2017 European Type Approved - Ford Connect 'Taxi' Spec
- 03/04/2017 WAV 17 Wheelchair accessible grant is now live
- 30/03/2017 WAV17 launches next Monday - April 3rd.
- 27/03/2017 A new Wheelchair Accessible Taxi in Belfast
- 10/03/2017 Wheelchair Accessible Taxi Conversion - OPEN DAY - 15th March
- 10/03/2017 McElmeels Wheelchair Accessible Taxi Conversion
- 30/07/2015 Say yes to Guide Dogs - It's the LAW
- 13/02/2017 WAV17 launches in April 2017
- 16/11/2016 MiDAS Trainers in McElmeels
- 04/11/2016 Willowbank Wheelchair Accessible Minibus Handover
- 14/10/2016 Get a sneak peak of McElmeel Mobility's new NI compliant Wheelchair Accesible Taxi!!
- 07/10/2016 Award winning customer service is something to celebrate.
- 23/09/2016 Mobility Roadshow 2016
- 19/09/2016 NI CHAMBER WINNERS "EXCELLENCE IN CUSTOMER SERVICE" 2016
- 18/05/2016 Wheelchair Accessible Taxi Conversion for less than the €10,000 WAV16 grant.
- 30/04/2016 Does your WAV have a winch?
- 28/04/2016 G9 Guide - WAV16
- 18/04/2016 Transfer Plate
- 15/04/2016 WAV 16 - Wheelchair Accessible Taxi Grants Ireland
- 15/04/2016 Why does the Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle Grant exist?
- 15/04/2016 How long is the Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle Grant available for?
- 15/04/2016 How do I apply for a Wheelchair Accessible Taxi grant?
- 15/04/2016 Under what circumstances would I have to repay the Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle Grant?
- 06/04/2016 For Sale - 15 Seat Wheelchair Accessible Minibus
- 05/04/2016 NSAI Approved for Conversion
- 30/07/2015 What Owning a Drive from Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle Could Mean for You
- 20/07/2015 A unique invention has transformed a County Down teenager’s life: Allowing him to take part in running events, even though he can’t walk