Running Boards and Side Steps on a taxi
We have recently been getting a lot of queries about side steps for taxis and there seems to be a little confusion about what has been passed in the (sometimes recent) past and what is the present requirement.
As you all know we are in constant contact with the guys at DFI and the DVA to keep ourselves up to date and based upon recent requests, I have looked for and received clarification which has been summarised below;
If you are in a class A,B,C or D taxi, the maximium allowed first step into and out of your vehicle must be no more than 435mm. If "the highest point your foot must raise to get into your car" is higher than 435 you will need a step. This step must measure at least 95 mm deep outwards from the perpindicular and it must have a color contrasted edge of between 45 and 50 mm.
If you have a class B taxi, you will also require to have one step that is no more than 380mm from the ground. This step must be at least 200mm deep and 400 mm wide with a band of contrasting colour of at least 50mm around the edge; due to the required depth this will typically be a retractable step. If you require an accessibility step you will also require a slip-resistant grab handle at this entrance which is a contrasting colour.
Both these steps need to be slip resistant and not obviously sloped. They must also not protrude beyond the folded mirror.
As noted above, this is a summarised answer, so please make sure you get clarification of your specific needs before you do anything.
If you have any queries please phone and ask for Anton and I will do my best to clarify anything I can.
- 08/08/2018 McElmeel Mobility at the Motability One Big Event, Yorkshire Event Centre, Harrogate, 10th August 2018
- 01/08/2018 McElmeel Mobility at the Motability Big Event, Westpoint Arena, Exeter 28th July
- 19/07/2018 Job Vacancy - Vehicle Trimmer/Fitter
- 19/07/2018 JOB VACANCIES
- 18/07/2018 Motability One Big Day Event, Exeter 28th July
- 06/07/2018 McElmeel Mobility at the Motability Big Event, NEC Birmingham 6th-7th July
- 19/06/2018 Motability Big Event, NEC, Birmingham 6th-7th July
- 01/06/2018 The Motability Big Event 1st-2nd June
- 23/05/2018 JOB VACANCIES
- 22/05/2018 Design Engineer Apprenticeship
- 22/05/2018 Vacancy - Office Administrator
- 21/05/2018 The Big Event 1st-2nd June
- 17/05/2018 Vivaro Crew Cab
- 16/05/2018 Bentley with Hand Controls
- 08/05/2018 McElmeel Mobility at Balmoral Show 2018
- 30/04/2018 Quality Control Officer Required
- 26/04/2018 McElmeel Mobility Services at Naidex
- 24/04/2018 Vacancy - Welder/Fabricator
- 24/04/2018 Vacancy - Vehicle Mechanic/Adaptation Fitter
- 21/04/2018 McElmeel Mobility exhibiting at the Naidex Exhibition 25-26 April 2018
- 12/04/2018 We are recruiting a Welder/Fabricator and Vehicle Mechanic/Adaptation Fitter
- 11/04/2018 McElmeel Mobility - Naidex Exhibition 25-26 April 2018
- 06/04/2018 Now Hiring UK/Ireland Sales Person
- 30/03/2018 Easter Closing Hours
- 22/03/2018 Vauxhall Vivaro Crew Cab with lots of extras
- 09/02/2018 WAV 2018 - Wheelchair Taxi Grant Launches in the Republic of Ireland
- 01/02/2018 Vauxhall Vivaro Taxi Conversion Available now for just £19,750.00 +VAT
- 05/12/2017 Christmas Hire Information and Opening Hours
- 18/11/2017 Ford Grand Tourneo Connect Flexi - 5 plus wheelchair
- 02/11/2017 Brand New Mercedes Wheelchair Accessible Minibuses - Available Immediately.
- 26/10/2017 The Demise and Death of the Volunteer Driver.
- 11/10/2017 9 Seat Wheelchair Accessible Taxi
- 06/10/2017 NI Chamber Award for "Excellence in Customer Service"
- 29/09/2017 Running Boards and Side Steps on a taxi
- 08/06/2017 McElmeel Mobility Services – closer to you
- 20/04/2017 LOWEST MOTABILITY Advanced Payment on the Volkswagen Caddy Maxi Style - £1,995*
- 19/04/2017 LOWEST MOTABILITY Advanced Payment Berlingo in the Motability Scheme - £1,095*
- 14/04/2017 European Type Approved - Ford Connect 'Taxi' Spec
- 03/04/2017 WAV 17 Wheelchair accessible grant is now live
- 30/03/2017 WAV17 launches next Monday - April 3rd.
- 27/03/2017 A new Wheelchair Accessible Taxi in Belfast
- 10/03/2017 Wheelchair Accessible Taxi Conversion - OPEN DAY - 15th March
- 10/03/2017 McElmeels Wheelchair Accessible Taxi Conversion
- 30/07/2015 Say yes to Guide Dogs - It's the LAW
- 13/02/2017 WAV17 launches in April 2017
- 16/11/2016 MiDAS Trainers in McElmeels
- 04/11/2016 Willowbank Wheelchair Accessible Minibus Handover
- 14/10/2016 Get a sneak peak of McElmeel Mobility's new NI compliant Wheelchair Accesible Taxi!!
- 07/10/2016 Award winning customer service is something to celebrate.
- 23/09/2016 Mobility Roadshow 2016
- 19/09/2016 NI CHAMBER WINNERS "EXCELLENCE IN CUSTOMER SERVICE" 2016
- 18/05/2016 Wheelchair Accessible Taxi Conversion for less than the €10,000 WAV16 grant.
- 30/04/2016 Does your WAV have a winch?
- 28/04/2016 G9 Guide - WAV16
- 18/04/2016 Transfer Plate
- 15/04/2016 WAV 16 - Wheelchair Accessible Taxi Grants Ireland
- 15/04/2016 Why does the Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle Grant exist?
- 15/04/2016 How long is the Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle Grant available for?
- 15/04/2016 How do I apply for a Wheelchair Accessible Taxi grant?
- 15/04/2016 Under what circumstances would I have to repay the Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle Grant?
- 06/04/2016 For Sale - 15 Seat Wheelchair Accessible Minibus
- 05/04/2016 NSAI Approved for Conversion
- 30/07/2015 What Owning a Drive from Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle Could Mean for You
- 20/07/2015 A unique invention has transformed a County Down teenager’s life: Allowing him to take part in running events, even though he can’t walk